Use the "back" button of your browser to return to the list of abstracts.
COLLECTIO ÆTHIOPICA OF THE LIBRARY OF THE DEPARTMENT OF AFRICAN LANGUAGES AND CULTURES [Abstract ID: 0509-01]
The library of the Department of African Languages and Cultures (University of Warsaw) has nearly 18.000 publications and 600 journals about Africa and African studies, not to mention several dozen African newspapers. Most of the books and journals were published in European languages: English, German, French, Portuguese and, of course, Polish. Apart from books and journals, the library maintains a special collection of maps, CDs and videos with African music, films and photographs. 1/3 of the collection constitutes of publications in African languages, that are taught at the Department: Swahili, Hausa and Amharic. The library’s collection dates back to 1950 when the Chair of Semitic studies was founded by prof. Stefan Strelcyn as a part of the Oriental Institute, University of Warsaw. Thanks to the contributors, amongst whom were the most prominent scholars – prof. Stefan Strelcyn, prof. Stanisław Chojancki, prof. Joanna Mantel-Niecko – the library now holds the largest and the most valuable Ethiopian collection in Poland consisting of books, journals, manuscripts, and records of international congresses and conferences concerning Ethiopian studies. The aim of the presentation is to show how the collection reflected not only the interests of the faculty, but also the times and political situation both in Ethiopia and Poland since the beginning of academic relations between the two countries.